Hello everybody, welcome to our recipe page, If you're looking for new recipes to try this weekend, look no further! We provide you only the best Nyonya Rice Dumpling recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Nyonya Rice Dumpling recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Use Food to Improve Your Mood.
In general, people have been conditioned to believe that "comfort" foods are terrible for the body and should be avoided. Sometimes, if the comfort food is a sugary food or another junk food, this is very true. Other times, though, comfort foods can be completely nourishing and it's good for you to eat them. There are several foods that, when you consume them, could better your mood. If you seem to be a little bit down and you're needing an emotional pick me up, try some of these.
Cold water fish are good if you wish to feel happier. Salmon, herring, tuna, mackerel, trout, and so on, they're all loaded with omega-3 fatty acids and DHA. DHA and omega-3s are two things that promote the quality and the function of your brain's gray matter. It's the truth: consuming tuna fish sandwiches can actually help you battle your depression.
As you can see, you don't need junk food or foods that are bad for you so you can feel better! Try a few of these instead!
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let's go back to nyonya rice dumpling recipe. To cook nyonya rice dumpling you need 28 ingredients and 20 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
The ingredients needed to cook Nyonya Rice Dumpling:
- Prepare of Prepared The Night Before:.
- Prepare of Organic Blue Pea Flowers,.
- Provide of Glutinous White Rice,.
- Provide of Chicken Stock Room Temperature,.
- Take of Sea Salt,.
- Use of White Pepper,.
- Get of Chinese Dried Mushrooms,.
- Take of Dried Scallops,.
- Prepare of Dried Shrimps,.
- Prepare of Chicken Thigh Skinless Boneless Finely Diced,.
- Provide of Kecap Manis,.
- Take of Light Soy Sauce,.
- Get of Shao Xing Wine / Hua Tiao Wine,.
- Get of Dried Mushroom Powder..
- Take of Dried Bamboo Leaves,.
- Prepare of Dumplings:.
- Take of Sesame Oil, For Stir-Frying.
- You need of Ginger Finely Minced,.
- Provide of Scallions Finely Chopped, A Handful + More For Garnishing.
- You need of Sea Salt,.
- Get of White Pepper,.
- Provide of Shallots Finely Minced,.
- Provide of Garlic Finely Minced,.
- Use of Coriander Powder,.
- You need of Bull Head Brand Chinese BBQ Sauce, 3 TBSP.
- Provide of Galangal Finely Grated,.
- Provide of Candied Winter Melon Finely Diced,.
- Get of Pandan Leaves,.
Instructions to make Nyonya Rice Dumpling:
- Prepare the night before. In a large bowl, add blue pea flowers and 800g of warm water. Set aside to cool and allow the flowers to dye the water with a shade of blue. Drain and discard the flowers, keeping the wonderful blue colored water. Wash the glutinous rice under running water and drain..
- Keep washing and draining for about 5 times. Add half of the rice into the blue colored water. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine well and set aside overnight..
- Transfer the other half of the rice into another large bowl. Add in chicken stock, mushrooms, scallops, shrimps, salt and pepper. Stir to combine well and set aside overnight. In another bowl, add chicken, kecap manis, soy sauce, wine, salt, pepper and mushroom powder. Stir to coat the chicken well. Cover with cling film and marinate in the fridge overnight..
- Prepare the dumplings. The next day, the mushroom and scallops should have hydrated. Fish them out. Finely dice the mushroom and shred the scallops by simply pulling them apart..
- Drain the blue colored rice and discard the water. Drain the other bowl of rice, keeping the water. *You will need the water at a later stage.*.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add sesame oil. Once the oil is heated up, add in mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms start to caramelize. Drizzle in some of that rice water. Add in ginger and saute until aromatic..
- Add in scallions, season with salt and pepper, saute until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside. In the same skillet over medium heat, add sesame oil. Once the oil is heated up, add in shallots. Saute until translucent..
- Add in garlic and saute until aromatic. Add in coriander powder and saute until well combined. Drizzle in some of that rice water to deglaze. Add in galangal, BBQ sauce and shredded scallops..
- Saute until well combined. Deglaze with some of that rice water. Season with salt and pepper. Lastly, add in the wintermelon. Give it a final saute, remove from heat and set aside..
- I am doing an open-faced concept as shown in the photos. You can choose to wrap the rice and fillings up into pyramid-shaped dumplings if desired. I will include the steps for both concepts.*.
- Open-faced concept: I am using an electric double-decker steamer. You can use 2 decks of bamboo steamers and steam in a wok over medium heat with water. You will need to do in batches if your bamboo steamers are small. Wipe the bamboo leaves clean with a kitchen towel..
- Lay bamboo leaves on the steamer. Lay some pandan leaves over the bamboo leaves. Spoon in the glutinous rice, white and blue separating from one another, over the top. Tied 2 knots of pandan leaves and place them on top of the rice. *This is your bottom deck.*.
- Cover and steam for 40 mins. Spoon the chicken and mushroom over another deck of steamer. Spreading out evenly. Place this deck over the rice deck. Steam together for another 30 mins or until the rice is fully cooked..
- I did it this way so that the flavors of the chicken and mushrooms will infuse the rice and vice versa. I cook the rice 1st cos the rice takes longer time to cook.*.
- Remove from heat and transfer onto serving plate. Garnish with scallions and serve immediately. If you want the same presentation as shown in the photos, place the white rice into a 4-inch pastry ring. Spoon the chicken and mushroom over the rice. Lastly, blue rice. Using the back of a spoon to compact at every layer. Garnish with some scallions..
- Wrapped concept: Clean and wipe the bamboo leaves with a kitchen towel. Bring a large heavy pot of water to a rolling boil. Take 2 bamboo leaves, one on top of the other, take the halfway point, fold and form it into a cone shape..
- Add a scoop of the white rice into the cone. Pack it down firmly. Add 2 spoonfuls of the chicken and mushrooms. Add a scoop of blue rice on top. Pack it down firmly..
- Fold the leaves down and form a pyramid shape. Tie the dumplings tightly with hemp strings. *It takes a few practices until you get it right. Most importantly is to the tie the dumplings tightly.*.
- Repeat the process for the remaining dumplings. Add the dumplings into the boiling water. Cover and boil for about 2.5 hours..
- At the 2 hours mark, remove one of the dumplings, unwrap and test if it is cooked. If it is cooked, remove from heat, place in a wire cooling rack to drain off excess water and cool down. If it is not yet cooked, continue cooking for another hour and check again, When it is cool enuff to handle, unwrap and serve..
If you find this Nyonya Rice Dumpling recipe valuable please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.