Recipe of Nan's Refried Beans Award-winning
Hey everyone, welcome to our recipe page, If you’re looking for recipes idea to cook today, look no further! We provide you only the perfect Nan's Refried Beans recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Nan's Refried Beans recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Suggestions For Living Green And Lowering costs Within the Kitchen.
Remember when the only individuals who cared about the natural environment were tree huggers as well as hippies? That’s a thing of the past now, with everybody being aware of the problems besetting the planet and the shared obligation we have for turning things around. Unless everyone begins to start living much more eco-friendly we won’t be able to correct the problems of the environment. Each and every family must start generating changes that are environmentally friendly and they have to do this soon. Here are a number of tips that can help you save energy, mainly by making your cooking area more green.
A large amount of electricity is definitely consumed by freezers and refrigerators, and it’s even worse if they are working inefficiently. In case you can get a new one, they use about 60% less than the old versions that are more than ten years old. Keeping the temperature of the fridge at 37F, coupled with 0F for the freezer, will probably save on electricity, while keeping food at the correct temperature. You can easily minimize how often the motor has to run by routinely cleaning the condenser, which will save on electricity.
From the above it ought to be obvious that just in the kitchen, by itself, there are lots of little opportunities for saving energy and money. It is quite straightforward to live green, all things considered. A lot of it truly is simply using common sense.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to nan's refried beans recipe. You can have nan's refried beans using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
The ingredients needed to cook Nan's Refried Beans:
- Prepare of cold water to cover (see recipe).
- Take of dried pinto beans.
- Take of double-rich beef broth (see NOTE above).
- Use of large onion, chopped.
- Take of bay leaf.
- Use of extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded.
- Prepare of salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Use of optional garnish.
- Prepare of shredded cheese.
- Prepare of sour cream.
- Get of finely minced onion.
- Take of minced jalapeno pepper.
Steps to make Nan's Refried Beans:
- Place the dried beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water. You want enough water to cover by about 3 inches because the beans will swell. Let sit for 8 hours or overnight..
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for 90 minutes, uncovered, stirring every 20 minutes or so..
- Drain the beans. Place them in a large, heavy pot. I use a cast iron Dutch oven. Add the broth, onions and bay leaf. You're not adding any other seasonings because your homemade broth should be pretty flavorful. You'll taste for seasoning at the end of cooking..
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, to reduce the liquid and concentrate the flavors..
- Reduce heat to low. Using an emersion stick blender or a potato masher (my preference), mash up the cooked beans while they're still in the cooking pot. Might seem like there's too much broth yet, but the beans will absorb more as they're mashed, plus you can cook them down further, if necessary, after mashing. Don't try to mash/blend them perfectly smooth; they're best a bit "lumpy"..
- Stir in the 10 ounces of extra-sharp cheddar cheese. Taste for seasoning. If you think it needs salt, pepper or garlic powder, stir that in now. If the consistency is not as thick as you like, continue cooking over medium heat, uncovered, stirring, until they reach your desired consistency..
- Stir in the diced jalapeño peppers, to taste. I love the flavor, and I also add a bit of the liquid from the jar of jalapeño peppers. Start off with a little bit, stir, taste, and adjust to your preference..
- A WORD OF WARNING: All jarred jalapeño pepper slices aren't the same! I used to think they were, until a recent rushed trip to the supermarket taught me otherwise. They were out of the store brand I usually buy, so I grabbed the brand that was there (see photo). Diced a few and stirred them into my beans, along with some of the liquid from the jar, then tasted them for seasoning..
- To my horror, they were sweet! I grabbed the jar of peppers and read the ingredients list. Second, right after jalapeños, was high fructose corn syrup! I kid you not! Nasty tasting! DO NOT use these when making this recipe!! Sugar/corn syrup and jalapeños do NOT taste good together!.
He uses salt-cured pork belly, then cooks bacon throughout the week and saves the drippings just to make. Homemade refried beans recipe with step-by-step instructions. Easier to make than you might think. Plus, they are far superior in flavor and texture to canned refried beans. How to make delicious homemade refried beans from scratch with pinto or black beans.
If you find this Nan's Refried Beans recipe useful please share it to your friends or family, thank you and good luck.